Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The cab.

Normally when people talk about taxi drivers, they are often associated with the negative side of the story. Today I shall share a positive story about taxi drivers.

It was pitch dark at East Coast Park, a trio was making their way out of the chalet and trying in vain to hire a cab. Cabs were dashing by with either the ‘Hired’ or ‘On call’ sign. The time was 11 and we’re stuck in an ulu (secluded/remote) part of Singapore. I’ve no idea why taxis are thronging in hot spots like Changi Airport whereby the queues are in the hundreds while other areas are left for the dead.

I know that it make perfect sense to hold on for bigger fish to be hooked. In a sense, they are trying to bait us into calling a cab thus making another few bucks. Even if we did not call up a cab, the midnight surcharge would burn a hole in our pockets sooner or later. Hence, time is on their side, they have absolute advantage. Meanwhile, it is also rational to try and pick up passengers who happen to live in areas that are not so isolated so that there’s a good chance to get another business. I presumed that must be the way that taxi drivers think... Yet, most of them often failed to consider the risks involved if they refused to pick up passengers. People may make complaints, take the night-riders bus or the first bus in the morning or so on. They may also give in and accede to the demands of the cab driver. It’s a two way process, they are not really wrong to try and hook up a bigger fish. Every man for himself...

After a few ‘good’ minutes, I suggested to go up ahead to the Mc Donalds area as the possibility of getting a cab is higher due to human traffic. Bingo! I was right but after we had decided to move on, other people who had fixed to their spots appeared to have gotten on to the cabs. Hah~ It was like we should have stayed in our position longer and perhaps we would have gotten the cab. I seemed to be the sinner yet I did not reproach myself. I lived by my decision and joked that we might have saved a dollar if we got a cab at the Mc Donalds area. Although the truth is, time was ticking by and the cruel reality of midnight charge may be much more than a dollar...

We decided to stop when we are left with only a third or a quarter of the journey to reach Mc Donalds. Or rather, they decided to stop as a few cabs had past us by and often they carried passengers who had stood their ground and waited. I guess they must have felt slightly upset that if we had persevered, we might have been sleeping in the cab by then. After a ‘good’ 10 minutes or so, we continue our journey to the west. Hah~ We are indeed walking towards the west side.

Finally, we reached Mc Donalds and it was another setback once again as there was no taxi stands or taxis waiting for us like I had envisioned. Yet, I had not failed completely as human traffic was high and it means taxis are dropping passengers at this ‘hotspot’. So, we managed to ‘get’ a cab in 5 minutes upon reaching. Too bad, the cab driver rejected us after hearing the words “Woodlands”, the northern part and often regarded as the ghostly area.

I was rather pissed obviously after the long and arduous journey. Yet, I respect the fact that the truth is real and I guess they have the right to reject us. Can you imagine earning $20+ a night for some hours put in? Hmm... Never mind, I spotted another cab dropping passengers hence I raced across the street after traffic on both sides are safer. This cab driver did not reject us and we were on our way.

During the journey, the cab driver did not talk much. That is really unusual because cab drivers would tend to be a little talkative in order to stay sane. Anyway, the driver did not talk much and neither did the trio of us as we were too exhausted to mutter another word. Yet, I kept awake through out the journey in the hope of recognizing the road somehow. It was a wasted effort as I lost sight of the road names etc and the expressways seems never-ending.

Finally, we reached the northern area. My friends alighted first and I was the last to alight. As we were approaching a junction, the traffic lights were turning to red but the taxi driver still turn left. It wasn’t dangerous or anything but I liked that. Hah~ That corresponds to one of my attitude. Then, he finally reached the bus stop near my house. The total cab fare was $22+ and he said that he’s not charging me for those few cents. That scored him another brownie point and I gave him a $2 tips. Yup, I know it’s only $2 but I wasn’t exactly rich either. It’s just a tiny token of appreciation for getting me from point A to point B. God knows, he thanked me profusely. I used my heart to think and I tipped him, he was glad and I was happy too.

I guess the following quotation best summarize the experience.
“The heart has its reasons which reason knows not of” – Blaise Pascal

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home