Sunday, May 14, 2006

The After Chalet Syndrome

It seems like I’m weak after a 3D/2N chalet trip. I’m convinced that people are just more susceptible to the ACS that I’ve mentioned. I defined the After Chalet Syndrome as a combination of too much barbecue food, lack or a diet of nutritious and wholesome food (Fresh fruits and vegetables), soft drinks or flavoured drinks and the most vital point, rest.

But I would take it, though I’m feeling the ‘heatiness’ now. It’s worth it to get down with the potential fever or flu. Like all the BBQs I’ve been to, there are always the usual games like mahjong and cards. Likewise, conversations also arise as people talk about the past and the future. The common questions of “Are you engaged? Have you gotten your licenses? What are you doing now?” As people aged, their thoughts also evolved and some of them grown up mentally while the others are still able to remain at sweet 16.

Maybe it’s the rare occasion that most people can finally get around, meet up and chilled out together. The 3 days escape from reality, being with people in their natural behaviour without having to consider how others scrutinizing their every moves. Though there may be a few who did not want to meet up and so on. I wished them all the best anyway...

Frankly speaking, I was not close to any ‘groups’ formed when I was in secondary school. I’m not really considered anti-social or anything like I used to believe. LOL! I was just a neutral party as I did not stick to just 1 group or whatsoever. Groups are formed because of common interests, protection or certain physical aspects. Once you join groups, things may often become a little complicated and political as you may miss the chance to communicate with people from other groups. In the end, the ‘groupless’ me may feel left out and felt anti-social. Anyway, it doesn’t bothers me anymore as I’ve the unexplainable ‘strength’ and the “Who cares?” attitude.

All in all, I would rate this chalet as 7.5 out of 10. I would based my assessment on 3 main factors: Food, fun and feel.

The food was moderately above average if not for the ‘Not Spicy’ otah. Hah.. It was fish paste in banana leaves that taste like fish balls? I do not want to argue with the manufacturer... It’s like chicken rice without the meat. That is the feeling that the gentle otah had on me. Luckily or unluckily, there was equal amount of otahs as the organizer ordered both the normal and abnormal otahs. Then, the chicken wings were simply marvelous while the BBQ stingray tastes like rubber. Following night, we had catering and it was up to standard.

Hmm... Due to the irregular rain conditions, we did not play much outdoor activities. Apart from that, we did learn a new poker game called ‘Bridge’ which is I believe is not considered popular in Singapore. It was a ‘new’ game to us and there’s much interest obviously. Then, some of the others went for KTV during the afternoon since the weather looks gloomy. The self-professed pros like me and a few others stayed back. Hah~ We are just too pro for KTVs. Or rather, I lame around that my favourite song cannot be found in the KTVs. Lol~ I used the word pro because my so-called favourite song is ‘Da Bei Zhou’ and the KTVs just do not have my song. Hah.. A friend joked that my lyrics are moving at too fast a pace that it is a piece of cake for me if I went to sing with them. Lol! Hence, the stayers chatted and played mahjong. I was the only crazy fellow who went out to explore. I cycled from one end of the East Coast Park to the other end including a 5 minutes timeout as I went back to the chalet and drank a can of red bull.... I did not check my timing but I was in high gear nonetheless...

Feel is also what I called the effort factor in the whole planning of the chalet. Kudos to the organizer who puts in much effort in ensuring that the entire process went smoothly. It was not a mistake on her part that no one touched the prawns during the catering. She had done her part in planning that there’s something for everyone. There’s fish, chicken, prawns, vegetables and 2-3 fried stuffs on top of the noodles and rice. In fact, I had heard that she had even considered organizing some ‘group’ games to be played out. Since no one touches the prawns (With shells), it’s highly possible that no one would be sporty enough to play those ‘group’ games. Some people are just way too cool for that while I’m okay with it.

So... For her efforts, I gave her a 10/10. I had also genuinely thanks her for her efforts and left some words. Hah.. Often, people claimed that my words left an impression on them. I think it’s because I did not talk much hence my words seems to have much more meaning and authority from that of a chatty person. In the olden days, it’s really miraculous for a guy like me to say thanks and showing appreciation. People often joked that they stand a good chance of striking lottery. I guessed that I’ve changed... Anyway, her smile in that instant was the brightest I’ve seen over the past few days. In fact, if no one is around, I’m afraid that she would hug me or what. Lol~ Ok... My imagination was a little too fertile. Hah..

I’ve been through that before and I knew how pressurize it can get when the weather is against you, people are criticizing you and the worse part is having no one to show some appreciation towards your effort. That feeling... is... really like....

PS – I’ve got another ‘taxi’ story coming up soon... A good cab driver story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home