Monday, May 22, 2006

What is my level?





Maslow's Hierarchy Of Needs

I studied this in my management module in year 1 semester 1 of my polytechnic course. In simple terms, there's this genius named Abraham Maslow's who put forward the idea that human’s needs can be divided into five levels as shown above.

As I explored further, I found out that Maslow writes the following of self-actualizing people:

They embrace the facts and realities of the world (including themselves) rather than denying or avoiding them.
They are spontaneous in their ideas and actions.
They are creative.

They are interested in solving problems; this often includes the problems of others. Solving these problems is often a key focus in their lives.
They feel a closeness to other people, and generally appreciate life.
They have a system of morality that is fully internalized and independent of external authority.
They judge others without prejudice, in a way that can be termed objective.



Hold on... I think I skipped a few levels like sex, relationships, achievements, reputation and so on... Hmm.. How could that be? SEX!? Dotdotdot... -_-'

Anyway, Maslow also admits that there were exceptions to this rule. For example, the great Indian leader, frequently forgo his physiological and safety needs when he was protesting. He was running on the self-actualization ‘fuel’ while he went on hunger strikes. (I guess that it's pretty obvious who I'm referring to)

Similarly, I had also forgone some of the physiological needs and wants. I do not need luxury items which are often costly and unnecessary. Ok... I take back my words, I bought a pair of shoes yesterday.. However, I treat it as a need (essential) not a want (desire). I can differentiate between the 2. A ‘need’ is like the hunger for food and you simply need to eat. While a ‘want’ is something that you desire like a Mc Donalds meal, ice cream and chocolate et cetera. You are selecting the ‘best’ item to eat while I’m left with no choice but to faithfully eat my mum’s cooking... =(` Just joking. Hah~ Mc D’s may be ‘tasty’ yet in all honest truth, I love my mum’s cooking. Hah!

I believe that my needs are somewhat special and perhaps I’m special. Who knows? In due course, I would find out if I’m special...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home