Saturday, April 08, 2006

Optimism and pessimism

Based on a true story – Desprorado’s story

Around 4-5 months ago, I made a decision. A life changing decision, I decided to continue my driving lessons. Nah... It’s true and I’m serious. That decision changes my life or rather, it opens up my mind. What’s the big deal? It may seem that I’m making a mountain out of a molehill but I’m not.

Faced with the options of giving up or continuing the lessons, I chose the latter. The reason is simply the amount of money I’ve sunk into the lessons. It would be a waste if I did not continue and besides, some of my friends had already gotten their licenses and I would appear to be the black sheep among them without a license. I suppose that is a good form of “peer pressure”. Hah.. Maybe it’s just to save my own ‘face’ or pride but I had spent most of my savings/earnings on the lessons. It’s my money. Every cent spent in the lessons belongs to me. Hence, it would be foolish to waste so much money ($1,800+) and not getting anything in return.

Then, another reason for my decision to continue the lessons is because I’ve just thrown in $45 for the MRT concession pass. My thoughts at that time “Since I’ve already thrown in the $45 for MRT pass, I might as well fully utilize it.” As a result, I renewed my membership with Bukit Batok Driving Centre and Provisional Driving License ($42 & $25).

I finished up the lessons nearing end-December and booked my revisions and final practical test on this coming Monday, Apr 10th. Assuming the traffic conditions are good and I remains cool, calm and confident. My chances should be decent. I can’t guarantee anything. If it happens, it happens. I will just give it a go.

Ok! What is the moral of the story? Where does it incorporate optimism and pessimism? Well, it does not directly link to being optimistic and pessimistic but it did link to being realistic. To me, optimistic and pessimistic does not exist in my dictionary anymore. An optimistic person may look at the bright side of things and live life with zest (passion). On the other hand, a pessimistic person may look at the bleak (dull) side of things and live life with a lack-of-interest mindset. The simplest example would be the weather.

Basic assumptions –
It only starts raining in the afternoon.
The optimistic person fails to plan for bad weather.

Current status - Morning

Optimistic person – The weather seems perfect for a day at the beach. Sun’s shining yet not overpowering. Perfect.

Pessimistic person – The weather seems like its going to rain. Sad... Think I would just stay at home and play Chinese chess or rot.

Desprorado – Aw shucks! The newspaper says afternoon most areas would rain.

Current status – Afternoon

Optimistic person –Hey, its raining, the sun’s so good in the morning. Hai~ *Mood darkens with the weather*

Pessimistic person – It’s raining. Luckily I did not go out to beach. Heng (lucky) ar!

Desprorado – It’s okay. Though it rains, I shall move on to plan B. If plan B fails, there would be a plan C and so on. The weather will not greatly affect my mood. Sure, I certainly hope for a fine weather, but if it rains, it doesn’t matter to me. I’ve got lots of activities to do and I can always chill out and wait for some ‘inspiration’ for blog entries. I will not blame the weather for spoiling my beach trip. Blame (Potential topic for my later entries). Instead of blaming the weather, one can only blame oneself for poor planning.

Conclusion – The optimistic person may not be such an optimistic person as portrayed. He/She may or may turn moody when it rains. However, that is assuming that they really did not plan for rain and they really showed their inner disappointment instead of portraying a smiley face.

Likewise with the pessimistic person, who may be satisfied that his/her predictions are correct yet failing to step out of his/her decomposition state. It’s good to score victories most of the time but it’s miserable to score such victories as it means that the person is really pessimistic. Confused? In simpler terms, the predictions are correct and it rains indeed. However, what is the point even if the pessimists are correct? They would still be rotting at home.

Desprorado’s mindset – Pessimistic and optimistic is nothing. The important point that matters to me is to be honest to oneself. Look at the facts, “Showers with thunder are likely in the afternoon over many areas.” Look at your chances or the probability that you belong to those few areas not affected. The facts do not lie. Do ponder about it. With that, I shall end this post with a century old joke.

One of the best professions is being a meteorologist. They can’t be fired...

PS – The joke may not be funny to some. Do not fret over it. I did not get it as first, maybe it was more a riddle than a joke?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home