Monday, March 13, 2006

Mosquitoes

WTBF! It’s 3+ in the morning and here I’m having a sleepless night thanks to the bloody suckers. ARGH!!! It’s driving me crazy... The spots on my thighs are all red and sore now. I did not have the intentions to rub on them but subconsciously I’ve been doing so. OMG~ Since I’m so irritated now, I shall attempt to kill them all by using my Dad’s favourite racquet. Before u’r left wondering wt’s so special about the racquet, I shall googled the keywords mosquito racquet. True enough, a fellow blogger with such information sprung up on the 1st spot. So I shall refer the URL for anyone who is interested. http://pchere.blogspot.com/2005/06/electronic-mosquito-racket-zaps-pests.html

But... There is still a problem. That is the mosquito would still continue to regenerate and it quite useless to fight against such a huge battalion of mosquitoes with a tiny racquet that zap them alive. It would be wiser to work on the prevention methods then finding a cure or remedy after being nipped by such pathetic yet powerful insects.

The reason why I said that it is powerful is because it has managed to outlast dinosaurs. That is the best proof that it is actually quite smart and able to outplay, outwit and outlast such ferocious creatures. Hence, before you dismiss it as just another domestic fly, think again.

As for the prevention methods mentioned earlier, currently there is only one that I can think of and that is none other than educating the public on ways to prevent mosquitoes from growing up. Before I nagged on the various life stages of a mosquito and bored anyone who’s happens to read till here, I shall grabbed myself some biscuits since I’m feeling hungry now. A hungry man is an angry man? Nah... An angry man is also a hungry man.

So back to our topic, the life stages can be found on the internet and I shall post another url: http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~insects/mosbiol.htm for readers who might be interested to find out more on the low life. As Singapore was faced with threats of mosquitoes a few months back, the health minister at that time made quite a few appearances on the mass media and quite a few prevention techniques were also taught on newspaper and televisions etc. Since the sudden explosion of mosquitoes then, the situation has subsided. However, a few precious lives were lost due to the deadly virus by the mosquito notably the dengue fever which may kills. Now, the mosquitoes may not have the intention to kill but it acts as a carrier for distributing the virus from an infected person to another healthy person. To cut short, you may like to have a look at another url that I’ve googled (http://www.dhpe.org/infect/dengue.html) to find out more on the symptoms of the deadly virus.

So basically, what does the various government agencies did to help solve the problem? Firstly, they used the prevention method which is to create public awareness. Then, they also set up emergency website on the “hotspots” area whereby there is unusually high concentration of reported cases. This measure would have alerted the public to avoid the “hot” areas and also made residents in those areas to work harder to prevent mosquitoes or they can kiss the value of their house goodbye. Then, the government also increased the number of inspections along with mosquito fogging around the small island otherwise known as Singapore. However, I was skeptic about the Pros and Cons of mosquito fogging. Since in MY opinion, it gives me an impression that the human body would be harmed as the smoke itself ain’t exactly friendly to me. Please note that I’m not trying to question the government or gahmen (slang for government) as others would call it. In fact, I would like to praise the work of our government as they had managed to solve the sudden explosion of mosquito bites inflicted.

Now, you (if you are still there) must be questioning why I’m so bored as to blog on such topics and even giving opinions on the government which may attract unnecessary attention. I just have to say that I’m a victim of the mosquitos’ bites and was feeling annoyed. However, I’m feeling much better after blogging as I’m able to forget the itch and use my two hands to type while my body miraculously heal the swells. At the same time, information is shared as to the danger of mosquitoes. As a matter of fact, I did praise our gahmen on their efficiency in solving the problem.

PS – I think I’m going to contact the relevant authority with regards to the mosquitoes in my estate. I’ve been suffering for at quite some time, from a few visits per fortnight to a few visits in the last couple of days. In turn, I feel terribly restlessness during daytime. Going to check up on the website and wait for the sun to rise as I foresee another sluggish Monday...

1 Comments:

At Tuesday, March 14, 2006, Blogger Desprorado said...

HaH! This would sound so gay if only i've gottn d bites with him. HAhah.. Wondering how you and him got the same bites sia... Erm.... Anyway, hope tt we wouldn't be so lucky to get mosquitoes bites again. Perhaps, we can think of some measures to stop the bites? Ten of thousands and even millions may be earned if someone managed to solve such a problem. Why can't it be us? lol.. Maybe I thought too much.. And thks for ur comments.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home